Sunday, September 19, 2010

NYFW: Part Two

NY Fashion Week is over. No. No. No.

Was that too many 'no's? Maybe just a little. But onto Doo.Ri's Spring 2011 Ready-To-Wear Collection. It was minimalistic--like a lot of other collections--but it seemed like almost every piece I saw, I immediately wanted. Sad, but true.


Chung is known for her monochromatic collections and this year is no different. It was a mix of whites, beiges, icy blue, pale yellows, and kaleidoscopic colors. I'm a fan of classic pieces and this collection was filled with them.


 I know that some people thought that the bold prints at the end seemed like an after-thought but I like to think of Chung's collection as a story that started with white--classic, clean, and sometimes boring--moved to beige, blue, yellow, and ended in a crescendo of color. Hey, I really like that. A crescendo of color. :)

I thought at the beginning that it was going to be bland but as the collection went on I realized that it was filled with pieces that were well-constructed and Chung chose not to overwhelm the observer with color but use neutrals to draw the eye to the quality of the garment and beauty of the woman wearing it.


Chung is known for her draping. She creates these simplistic, yet stunning pieces that are so ethereal and elegant. She makes clothes that reflect a woman's natural softness. Whether its a simple, strapless icy blue dress or a more complicated beige dress with a sweetheart neckline. Both will last in a closet and are well worth their price-tag.


Next, I love how Chung incorporated light knits into the collection. They look warm and soft. Perfect for the early days of Spring when Winter weather is still hanging on by the tips of its fingers. The textures and draping of these knits help elevate the garments to another level. The devil is in the details.


Finally, of course I'm going to gush about the tailored pieces. As much as I love a great draped dress and warm knit, I'm obsessed with blazers, pants, and just about anything that requires a tailor. :) These pieces are so versatile. Throw on Chung's crisp ivory blazer over the top of a tee and a pair of jeans and it is perfect for day-time.

But that same jacket adds polish to a summer dress for a day at work. Like I said, so versatile. :) Oh, and that trench. It's crazy. That whole outfit is so...on another level. I can't even describe it.





What did you think? Are you a fan of minimalism? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment