Saturday, August 29, 2009

What's in a Scent?

Scents, like taste, is something that separates us from the group. Even the best of friends have different likes and dislikes when it comes to smell. Although some smells are universal (is it safe for me to say that almost everyone dislikes the smell of an unclean bathroom?) perfumes are not.


Perfumes, soaps, and anything scented are not something you should take people's word for. I've heard countless people say that they adore the smell of Lush's Therapy Massage Bar and when I first smelled it at the store I think I actually gagged. But I bought it anyway (don't know what I was thinking) and I keep trying to smell it in hopes that I guess maybe miraculously the scent will change and I'll see what everyone else smell. But it never happens. Needless to say I don't use it very often. :(


But during my trip to my aunt's, I visited my first Sephora. I'm not sure if I already mentioned this but I was so excited. I don't know if it was because it was like ten in the morning and the store was pretty deserted, but the costumer services was AMAZING! They constantly asked me if I was alright or if I needed anything. <3

So they had a wall of perfumes. I instantly fell in love. I just couldn't stop smelling them and I'm completely sure that I left that store smelling like... I don't know what. But I'm sure I didn't smell good.


Anyway so I fell in love with four scent when I was there and I ended up buying two of the scents. (one in the store and one later in the week at the Nordstrom Rack) But the one I bought in the store was Juicy Couture's Juicy Couture fragrence. Now I only bought the small roll on kind that was like twenty dollars or something like that but I thought it would be nice to get to go along with my Viva La Juicy perfume that I already had at home (that perfume was what I named my blog after. just a little fun fact.)


Then I <3>Pink Sugar. It really does reminded me of the smell of cotton candy. I just can't get over how sweet I smell. I didn't buy it in the store because I felt kind of guilty spending like fifty bucks on perfume but I got it later at the Nordstrom Rack. I seriously do not regret my purchase! :)


The other two I really liked and considered buying before I saw the price were Michael Kors' Very Hollywood. It's scent is really light and kind of floral-y. But I like it soo much. They smell is just so subtle and magnificent and who doesn't love Michael from Project Runway?


The other was Burberry's scent The Beat. Just another fun fact: I'm like obsessed with Burberry. It's not really like a cutting edge fashion line, its more conservitive and classy. And even though I don't buy a lot of stuff from there (too expensive) I love to look. I became even more obsessed when I saw Emma Watson in their new campaign ads. She looks so good! :) But Burberry deffinately ranked in top five favorite desginers and I was not disappointed in their perfume.


I would not recommed buying anytype of perfume or scented product online unless you've already smelt the product. Especially if its a designer perfume. It would be a waste to spend all that money and then not even like the perfume.


I know that department store have a lot of perfume counters but I really don't like going to them because I feel a little awkward standing there trying perfumes and then the lady (sometimes ladies) is/are standing there just watching me. A little awkward. And then because I look a little young I've gotten attitude because they think I won't buy the product. Sephora is just easier because you get to just choose from a wall and smell.


What are your favorite scents? Do you like perfume or body spray? Please Comment & Follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment